Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The lady selling fruit said what!?!

This is a simple post but it follows a theme that has endured throughout my time in Thailand. There have been numerous incidents over the past year where I have either overheard or simply been told something that people think I can't understand. It is normally something that they would not have said if they knew that I understood. There are too many instances to recount many of which are very humorous. The most recent occurred as I was driving home from teaching an extra class the other day. I stopped at the fruit stand along the road and bought some lynchees from the lady there and I was paid her and was getting on the motorcycle to continue on my way she made a comment about how hairy my legs were. I looked back at her and smiled. I don't think she knew that I understood what she said and I drove off. Many times, that how it goes and they're none the wiser. But on occasion I like to let them know I did understand what they said with some subtle comment or indication that I speak Thai. It's quite fun. But I'm sure it's been done to us as well. We (meaning people I speak English with) sometimes speak like we think nobody understands us. I guess it's a universal thing.

RM

No comments:

Post a Comment