Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Happy Birthday note and something to ponder...

Today is a day of celebration. Today my sister, Sara, turns 19 (Sara, if you happen to take a break from your busy college schedule and read this, happy birthday). Today is also Cinco de Mayo so those of you who can drink a margarita, please do in celebration of that holiday. And finally, today is Coronation Day in Thailand. The current king, HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej, had his coronation ceremony on this day in 1950. In celebration and recognition of this event, there is a ceremony of sorts in Bangkok.

Now on to that little thing I wanted to ponder. I've come across a little fact of sorts that I find very interesting and have wanted to share with the world for some time now, but haven't. It is now that time. If you are a member of my family, you know that April 6, May 5 and June 9 are all special days. April 6 is my older sister’s birthday. May 5 is my younger sister’s birthday (see above if you didn't catch that earlier). ;-) And June 9 is my birthday. It just so happens that every one of these days is also a national holiday in Thailand and I find that fascinating.

April 6 is Chakri Memorial Day and commemorates King Rama I, the founder of the Chakri dynasty. Different dynasties have ruled Thailand and the current dynasty (the one that HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej is a part of) is known as the Chakri dynasty. The Chakri dynasty has ruled Thailand since the founding of the Ratthanakosin era in 1782 after King Taksin (the only King to rule during the preceding dynasty of Thonburi) was declared insane. Now, they celebrate this dynasty and their achievements on April 6, which also happens to be my older sister’s birthday. May 5, as I explained earlier, is Coronation Day and is also my younger sister’s birthday. Finally, June 9. June 9 was the day that HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej ascended the throne in 1946. This past year, as he celebrated his 60th anniversary on the throne as the longest reigning monarch in the world, the entire country celebrated this anniversary during the days leading up to and following June 9 the day of his ascension to the thrown. June 9 is also my birthday.

I've come to realize this after spending time here and celebrating these holidays right along side everyone else, but I couldn't help but notice that those important dates were very connected to important dates for my family. I'm not going to read into that at all, but I do find it fascinating.

And with that, I'll call it a day. But before I go I just wanted to say that my older sister is going to be here in four days! She has an internship/job with a law firm in Bangkok for 6 weeks and will be arriving on Tuesday! It's been just under a year since I've seen her and I can't wait! And despite how excited I am about all the little things that she's bringing for me (Nerds candy, a new camera etc.), I'm publicly declaring that I'm more excited to see her than recieve all these little gifts.

Later folks.

Ry

1 comment:

  1. Your life is filled with auspicious dates! What happen in Thailand on Jan 23? Looking at the time I see your sister arrives in 12 hours...exciting I hope you're enjoying your evening in BKK and have a great all nighter w/ Taryn.

    ReplyDelete