Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fruit

One of the reasons I love Thailand is for the fruit. There is an abundant supply of fruit throughout the year and in such a tremendous variety. From mangos and rambutans to lynchees and pomelos and other fruits whose English name I don't know, I'm constantly able to eat delicious and fresh fruit. It's wonderful. As most Thai's do, I have developed that habit of eating some fruits after my evening meal. After you finish the meal and most of the plates have been cleared away, out comes the fruit. It's usually the fruit that's in season at the moment, but that can be nearly anything. This evening I partook in a few lynchees after dinner and was just about in fruit heaven. Lynchees are a wonderfully tasty and juicy fruit and I can't seem to get enough of them. They are just coming into season and are already climbing the chart on Ryan's Favorite Fruit List. For those who are interested, at the top of the chart is the mangosteen followed by the banana and the pineapple which are threatened by the new contender, the lynchee. The salaa (that's the Thai name...I don't know the English name) is also up there. Go FRUIT!

Speaking of fruit, when Taryn, my sister, was in Lampang this weekend I gave her a fruit tour and showed her all the different fruits in the fruit market and told her how to eat them. It was great fun and we bought a lot of fruit which is always a good thing. Even now, after almost 16 months in Thailand, there are still fruits which appear seemingly out of nowhere which I am then obliged to find out about and taste. We encountered several at the market the other day.

ผมรักผสไม้ (pom rak pom-la-maai) or I love fruit.

RM

1 comment:

  1. Eat a Mangosteen for me! I miss those suckers!

    ReplyDelete