Monday, April 16, 2007

Very secure security

This post is follows a somewhat different thread than most. I've recently found that my secure online accounts (i.e. online banking, credit cards online etc.) are so secure that I can't even access them. I don't know if others are experiencing this, but I've found that most of this institutions are adding an additional feature to their security - a password and user name is no longer enough. You must now answer a security question that is randomly selected. Now, besides the added inconvenience of having to go through this additional step (which isn't that inconvenient), I've encountered another problem - I can't remember my answers. I've now been locked out of my checking account online access twice and my credit card account once because I can't remember the exact answer that I gave when I originally answered the questions. I find myself asking if the answer to the question about my first car was simply the make (Impreza) or if I included Subaru too. I just find myself at a loss coming up with those answers. Some are easier than others. It's these tricky ones that I get hung up on and then have to go through the whole ordeal of calling the company and proving that I'm who I say I am and then they open the account. I hope they don't keep track of how many times you're unable to access your account because I have a feeling it's going to happen again. I guess that's the beauty of living in an electronic age.

Until next time,

RM

No comments:

Post a Comment