Friday, August 18, 2006

It's the Rainy Season!!!

It's been the rainy season ever since I arrived and there has been quite a bit of rain (especially compared to what I'm used to in Colorado) but it really hasn't interfered much with my life. Meaning, when it rains, I'm at school or it's later at night. I've been caught in the rain once, but I was coming home and just enjoyed walking in the rain. Well, this morning my luck ran out. I woke up and it was dreary and raining. It wasn't raining really hard; I would be wet when I got to school, but would dry quickly. I jumped into the shower and while I was showing the sound of rain pounding the roof got louder and louder. After my shower, I looked out the window and sure enough it was pouring. It was coming down in sheets. And I had to get to school and be presentable in my shirt and tie. People have told me about non-event feedback, where until something bad happens you continue to act as you have. Well, my luck with rain had not yet compelled me to buy a rain poncho, so here I was, ready to go to school and I had no protection from the rain. So what did I do you ask? I hopped on my motorcycle with my jacket on and road as fast as I could to school. One problem though - on the way to school there is a stop light and it was red. As I slowed down to a stop I put my foot on the ground to stabilize the bike and my foot went ankle deep into the water flowing down the street. By the time I got to school (only a 2-3 minute bike ride from my apartment) I was drenched. Luckily, I didn't have class until the afternoon and dried off by then but spent to morning soaking wet and soggy sitting at my desk. What fun!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:03 AM

    So you thought that by riding fast you would avoid the rain??? Were you a bit wrinkly when you arrived? Was it fun? And have you bought a rain coat? Don't you have your waterproof jacket? We have been walking in the rain lately - but hardly get wet.
    DSM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't anyone think that? It seems to make sense to me :)

    I still haven't bought a rain jacket. I'm in the market for more of a poncho. My rain jacket would have kept my chest dry, but not my legs. These ponchos are huge and should keep one mostly dry.

    You must be more skilled at walking in the rain than I :)

    ReplyDelete